Friday, November 14, 2008

Brooke's been doing such a great job keeping everyone in our lives up to date on what's new with us that I thought I'd give it a try. Believe it or not you are all witnessing history... this is my first blog EVER!

Last week I was able to go TDY to Vandenberg AFB in California to witness a Minuteman III missile launch. For anyone who isn't familiar, the Minuteman III is our nation's current long range Intercontinental Ballistic Missile, or ICBM, which can carry up to three nuclear warheads. I definitely consider it a privilege that I was able to go.

Vandenberg is well known for the fog that will roll in, so a lot of us were concernced that we wouldn't be able to see anything. I was there for the last launch back in August when I was attending Space 100, and the fog was so thick that we couldn't see a thing. This time we ended up having perfect conditions. It was a crystal clear night. We were able to see all three stages of the missile separate, even thrust termination. It was really neat to see the weapon system that I work on in action; however, it was a little scary at the same time. When you realize what that missile would be carrying in the event of a real world missile launch, it's a little frightening to know what the beginning of the end of the world might look like.



I had a great time out in California, but I definitely missed Brooke while I was gone. The best part was coming back home to her.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brooke, I've made my blog private for safety reasons. Send me an email at brittanycornelius@hotmail.com and I will add you to the list of people who can view it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke...about the Dorp Straat painting idea...fabulous! But I'm not sure my skill level could capture such chaos and hilarity...seriously though, if I could paint it I would just for a good laugh. Ahh, the memories! Hope you are doing great and not having too much sickness with the pregnancy:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete